You haven’t played bowls before? Not a problem! Our staff will provide you with a comprehensive demonstration upon your arrival so no need to worry. For those looking to get a competitive edge before you arrive, here is a brief run down on how the game is played.
HOW TO PLAY
Aim: The aim of the game is to get your Bowls closer to the Jack than your opposition.
Rink: area in which play takes place.
Jack: small white ball, the idea is to get bowls as close as possible to it.
Bowls: the balls used by the player, weighted on one side causing it to curve as it rolls.
- Stand on the mat, feet together.
- Take ball in your preferred hand (right or left).
- Step out with your opposite foot (left or right).
- Take a small back swing.
- Bend down and roll bowl along the ground.
- Roll it out at an angle, so the bowl curves back towards jack.
- Avoid dropping or bouncing bowl so as not to damage green.
- The player who has their bowl or bowls closest to the jack wins.
- Points are awarded according to the number of bowls closest.
- Players judge the distance and number by eye.
- If in dispute, measuring is employed.
RULES ON THE GREENS
Fun is always the number one priority however we do have a few rules to ensure that everyone can have a safe, fun and enjoyable experience with us at Rock n Bowl and at Manly Bowling Club.
Please be aware of the following rules which will be enforced upon your visit. Our friendly Rock n Bowl staff will be there to remind you of them so don’t stress too much. However, please note that repeated infringements of any of the guidelines below will result in the cancellation of bowling at the staffs discretion.
- Responsible service and consumption of alcohol is enforced at the venue. Intoxication prior to your arrival or throughout your time in the venue is not permitted under any circumstances. This behaviour will lead to removal from the venue without refund.
- Although it’s Barefoot Bowls, shoes can be worn however they must be completely flat soled.
- Only 1 person is allowed on the green per rink. This includes when changing ends. As a result groups are not permitted to walk down the middle of the rink but will be required to use the pathways at the greens perimeter.
- Please respect our greens. This means no dropping, throwing or bouncing of the lawn bowls.
- No eating or drinking on any of our greens.
- No driving (fast bowling) permitted.
- No gathering on greens.
- No sitting on the banks of greens.
- Our staff members are here to help you have a good time, please be respectful of them at all times.
- If you have any further questions feel free to come up and ask any of our friendly Rock n Bowl staff members.